School Traffic Safety May 2018
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Student safety is the primary concern of all of us at Cougar Canyon Elementary. This includes the times when students are on their way to and from the school, as well as during the school day.
You may have heard that there was traffic incident involving a child in front of our school earlier this week, and that although everyone is fine, it does give an opportunity to reflect on, and remind everyone about our community safety efforts.
Traffic on Lyon Road poses some significant concerns. It is timely to remind everyone of safety rules that will keep traffic moving efficiently and more importantly keep our students and community members safe.
- Due to the high volume of traffic, it is strongly recommended that students WALK or BIKE to school, and that if at all possible the motor vehicle usage is minimized. Bike helmets are required for all WHEELS (bike and skateboards). Locks for bikes are also required.
- The school pull through driveway is restricted between 8:30 and 9:30, and 2:30 and 3:15 for school busses and authorized daycare vehicles. It is not to be used for family vehicles.
- There is a crossing guard at the crosswalk during high volume times. PLEASE CROSS at the CROSSWALK.
Students who walk to school should be crossing the street in the crosswalks. Families who park across the street from the school are also requested to utilize the crosswalk. Please, no jaywalking in front of the school.
- The zone in front of the school is marked as a NO STOPPING area, and should not be used for parking at any time. Yellow curbs and high visibility signage are in place.
- Students should NEVER be exiting the vehicle into the traffic. Make sure your passengers get out of the car on the curb-side.
- If you’re getting out of your car and walking with your students, please do not park and leave your car in the drop off
- Obey all traffic signs on and around school property.
- Please allow yourself time to get to work or your next destination safely.
- Make an attempt to get your student to school early, as this will decrease traffic around the
I hope every parent will take a moment to reflect on the drop off and pick up patterns that you have with your children, and make a few small changes, that together, will create a safe traffic pattern around our school site.
Joanne Keller, Acting Principal
Cougar Canyon Elementary